Edward E. Hartwick
Built by Karen Hartwick in 1929 to honor her late husband, Maj. Edward E. Hartwick, the Memorial Building served as the Park Office, Welcome Center, and Museum until 1995. The log structure is on the National Register of Historic Places and efforts are underway to stabilize and revitalize this important piece of Michigan history.
Public input is being sought for future building use, along with funds to stabilize and rehabilitate the building. To give input and/or make a donation to the Memorial Building restoration fund:
Text: MEMORIAL To: 80888, or
Click HERE for our GoFundMe fundraiser, or
Visit! Check out the Calendar for open hours, or
Purchase a fundraiser t-shirt at the Friends' Bookstore
The building is open to the public for the first time in 25 years this summer! Check out our Calendar to see days and times the building is open. NOTE: the building is open only when volunteers and staff are available - we do our best to keep the calendar as up-to-date as possible. We are seeking volunteers to serve as Building Hosts that answer questions and gather visitor feedback. If you're interested in hosting, please email us today, or stop by the Visitor Center for more information.
The Memorial Building is located in the park Day Use Area accessed from the main entrance of Hartwick Pines State Park, about 2 miles east of I-75, exit 259.
We are also looking for major sponsors to contribute funds or in-kind services and materials to this project, and would love to hear from you today.
The building was a deed requirement by Karen Hartwick when she gifted the Old Growth Forest to the State of Michigan to be used as a State Park.
The building was constructed in 1929 with red pine logs sourced from nearby Lovells, MI.
The building's interior was finished and furnished by Civilian Conservation Corps members in the early 1930's.
The original log table and benches, along with other furnishings are located at the new Visitor Center.
The museum artifacts were removed throughout the past 25 years and are on exhibit or in storage here at Hartwick Pines and the Michigan History Center in Lansing.
The central upstairs area was called the "Observation Deck" on the original blueprints and overlooked the old growth white pine forest. When the building was constructed, most of the trees that surround it now didn't exist!
This project is a collaboration of: Friends of Hartwick Pines State Park; Michigan Department of Natural Resources Parks & Recreation, Marketing & Outreach, and Stewardship Divisions, and the Michigan History Center.